Rovaniemi, the capital of Lapland, has been ranked as the No.1 winter destination in Europe for 2020-2021 by one of the most respected travel sites in the world, Lonely Planet.
The ‘official’ terrestrial residence of Santa Claus has a lot to offer as Rovaniemi is the perfect place for a combination of some Arctic urban and rural life. Most visitors travel to Lapland to experience the snowy winter wonderland. The amount of snow and the length of the snowy period in Rovaniemi varies slightly from year to year. The first snow usually arrives during October and permanent snow cover sets in by the end of November. In December, the average daily temperature varies from -20 to -10°C. Lonely Planet suggests visitors pack serious winter clothing as Finnish thermometers have more numbers below 0°C than above.
Visit Lapland listed some activities and experiences to try in Rovaniemi during winter:
Places to visit
- Visit Santa Claus Village at the Arctic Circle (Read about Ciara’s family’s Santa experience)
- Learn about Northern nature, culture and history at the Arktikum Science Museum
- Korundi House of Culture, the home of the Rovaniemi Art Museum and the Lapland Chamber Orchestra is the place for lovers of culture
- If you’re looking for a very special kind of accommodation, stay a night in a glass igloo. If you’re lucky, you may experience the northern lights during the night but if not, at least you’ll get to wake up to a beautiful wintery scenery
Eateries to try
- Restaurant Nili offers authentic Lapland delicacies
- Strongly influenced by the United States, Italy and Finnish Lapland, Roka is a new type of restaurant and street bistro in the heart of Rovaniemi
- Cafe & Bar 21 is a modern cafè, restaurant and a cocktail bar
- Restaurant Sky Kitchen & View has a kitchen with a view on top of Ounasvaara
- In addition to serving local delicacies, coffee, cakes and pastries, Hostel Cafe Koti is also a hostel
Experiences to brighten up your stay
- Go Aurora hunting (See the Top 10 spots for aurora hunting in Rovaniemi)
- Take part in husky tour and try dog sledding year-round
- Fan of more speed? Snowmobiling is a popular hobby in Finland. Try a short beginner’s ride or spend the whole day driving around
- Float in icy Arctic waters in a floating suit that will keep your body warm and your clothes dry
- Try downhill or cross-country skiing at Ounasvaara Ski Resort
We hope to see you in Rovaniemi as soon as it is possible ❤️
Note: Please check the latest travel restrictions before planning any trips! Check the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Finland for current updates on travel to Finland.